View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
Luke87gt

Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking on this forum for some years now but finally registered as I just purchased a 1969 C10 short bed 6cyl with a three on the tree manual trans (it is a converted longbed). I’ve wanted a 67-72 C10 for years but it was never the right time. It’s probably still not the best time but I went ahead with it I’m hoping this forum will be a place where I can learn more about the truck and establish some community with like minded enthusiasts.

The truck was shipped from Washington to my home in Pleasanton, CA this week. I’ve wanted a short bed c10 for some time now and finally pulled the trigger. I’ve included some pics below.

I have had project cars in the past (late model Mustangs and Corvettes) but this is my first carburetor equipped toy and my first experience with vintage Chevrolet.

A few things I’m hoping you all can start me off with:

a.) I bought the car from an 80yr old man who had it since the 1980s. The truck is obviously an i6 but he couldn’t remember whether it was a 250 or 292cu in engine. Can anyone tell me how I can ID which engine it is? When I do a search on RockAuto, it’s actually showing (4) different 6cyl options in 1969. I always thought there was (2)?

b.) The truck has been sitting for years. The owner would occasionally start it but it’s been a long time since it’s been registered for road use. It’s running very rough and struggles to hold an idle (it has some smoking and you have to goose the throttle to keep it alive). I suspect some carb related issues. I’ll start with a basic tune-up including spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, and air filter. Any other items I should consider while I’m doing this? Also, plan is to mostly use RockAuto ACDelco parts. If you recommend any others, please let me know.

c.) What oil do you recommend for the first oil change? Let’s assume it’s a high mileage i6. 10W-40 conventional sound right?

d.) What rearend came in these trucks? I’ll take a picture and post here.

e.) If it turns out that I need a hand, does anyone know any C10/classic Chevy shops in the Tri-Valley (Bay Area) that know their way around a carburetor?

I’ll be checking back in frequently and plan to utilize this thread for updates as I go. The first priority is to get it running well enough where I can drive around town with my 5yr old son.

We live in Pleasanton, CA which hosts multiple annual GoodGuys and downtown classic car shows which we hope to be a part of in the coming years.

Thank you and look forward to being part of the community here.

Luke87GT
Attached Images

Last edited by Luke87gt; 03-02-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Luke87gt is offline   Reply With Quote