View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 02:42 AM   #19
dmjlambert

Re: Purchased a 1969 C10 Short Bed - Pleasanton, CA

That is a beautiful truck you have there. I have a 69 of the same color, although mine is rusty. Great purchase. Congratulations. It appears the 80 yr old man took good care of it. You graduated from lurking to posting, that's great. Post lots of questions and lots of pictures. An amazing amount of knowledge and opinions are right here waiting for you to ask. These wonderful folks have helped me with a ton of stuff on my truck. This forum has the most helpful and friendliest vibe on the Internet, I think you will be amazed. I will share a these things that I didn't know when I got started with my truck, and I wish I had known from the start:
  1. Original and good reproduction service manuals, owners manuals are available on eBay and from all the catalog vendors.
  2. There are numerous online vendors who sell parts for these series of trucks.
  3. Many of the vendors let you request a free catalog by mail and those catalogs will give you good ideas. Examples LMC, Brothers, NPD
  4. Quite a few but not all of the catalog vendors have been purchased by Holly, and the quality of service and parts have suffered because of that in some people's opinions. Examples Brothers, Southern Kentucky Classics. Something to be aware of.
  5. Some vendors directly support this forum and are members here and have very good reputations here as selling stuff that is good quality or the best quality that is available for the particular aftermarket part you're looking for. They may not have glossy catalogs or easy click websites, but for the reasons I mentioned are worth considering making your favorites.
  6. For many parts it is not necessary to buy aftermarket, and original used or rebuilt parts or parts you buy used and restore yourself often have superior quality, and this forum has for-sale sections. If you are a premium member you would be able to post parts for sale and post want-to-buy ads. Recommended. I went through a phase of buying aftermarket Chinese parts that would fall apart in my hands as I would put them on the truck, or last a couple months and crap out. Not recommended.
  7. National Carburetors is a vendor who sells new and rebuilt carburetors that are the exact replacement for the one on your truck, so if you get into yours and discover things like stripped threads, warped parts, worn bushings, etc. and you don't want to spend big bucks they can bail you out. Or they can provide you a carburetor that will let you continue to drive your truck while you really dig into your original carburetor.
  8. The original carburetors on our trucks came with a fuel filter holder built into the carburetor. I may be mistaken but that may include your carburetor and you can get rid of your plastic external filter and rubber hose, and return to an all-steel fuel line which would be less of a fire hazard. It is not hard to bend your own fuel line and flare the ends and install, or vendors such as Inline Tube have pre-bent metal lines. I personally don't recommend stainless steel as it is too hard and prone to leaks, but if you have a leak with one it may be dealt with using copper flare gaskets.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote