View Single Post
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #140
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

I drove the car around the school parking lot beside the shop for the first time a couple weekends ago... needs serious tuning to make it run smoothly. Right now it's slower than my white '89.

I went over the carbs- checked the float level, fuel level in the bowl, adjusted the accelerator pump linkage, and reset the butterflies in the barrel so both barrels close completely at the same time. It idles much better now but there is still a dead spot. After searching arouind a bit I found that I have the wrong emulsion tubes- the current one are meant to lean out the mixture as it transitions to the main jets which is exactly what seems to be happening. I ordered the correct tubes from Italy with expidited shipping, they should be here tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes the dead spot and it'll run decent enough to take to the Michelin autocross this weekend.

I tried to take the distributor apart to modify it for more centrifugal advance but was unsuccessful. I thought maybe the capri/b6d advance parts would fit in the b3 distributor but that didn't work either. The b3 distributor only advances 17 degrees compared to the b6d's 25 degrees so it'll be down on power until I get that straightened out. Miata guys with basically the same engine are running 28-30* for max power. I also started plumbing the engine for an air/oil separator, and began wiring the AFR gauge. I'll spend a few nights this week going over everything on the suspension- dialing in the ride height and alignment, and double checking all bolts/fasteners before I get it out on the road. Still need to go to the dmv to register it, get the bumper/hood/grill installed, and hook up the e-brake too.

First pic of all three together.

b3 advance mechanism.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote