View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #142
theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Hope you do well this weekend.
Thanks!

The carb parts didn't come in til yesterday so I only got to take the white Festiva to the autocross. Jacob (my BIL that works at Michelin) had been ribbing his boss that a Festiva was going to outrun his pro-touring Chevelle, and we thought we'd need the red car to get the job done. We were dissapointed when the parts didn't show in time. I swapped the 13's with R888's back on the white one and took the roof rack and spare tire/jack out to shed extra weight but didn't do anything else to prep it.

We took turns driving and Jacob was catching on pretty quickly. It started puking oil from the valve cover breather after the third run; the base of it had split and it was leaking badly. We had to make an Oreilly's run to get parts to fix it, hose to remote-mount the new breather/filter, and brake cleaner/towels to wash off all the oil that had leaked everywhere. We missed seven morning runs but was able to get back in time to get lunch with the group and make all of the evening runs.

There were some pretty serious cars and drivers at the event. 1-6th place were all either Michelin drivers or were with the SCCA club that setup the event the day before with the same layout so they had more practice. The Evo was a fully built time attack race car that was trailered there, the Z06 was a streetable racecar with sponsor decals covering it, the Subarus were modified, the Mini was modified and on slicks... these guys weren't playing!

Jacob's boss ended up bringing his newer Camaro SS with Detroit Speed susupension parts, engine work, and sticky tires which I figured would be even quicker than the Chevelle. He placed 20th out of 45 entries with a 56.612. My best was a 54.114 which put me in 10th... very suprising for not getting all the runs in to learn the track, having completely blown front coilovers, and only around 75 hp. They're supposed to have two autocrosses next year so hopefully we can go back with the red car and maybe place even better!

Link to full res results:

https://imgur.com/appbz5D

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote