View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 03:48 PM   #40
JA50N

Re: JA50N's 86 GMC: A rust wars story

Update! So I finally decided to keep the saddle tanks under the truck and incorporate protection for the tanks into the slider design. Now, I don't have the equipment or skill to build custom bolt on (they have to come off to service the tanks) sliders but I was able to find a talented fabricator in my area willing to work on my old junk. I got him to custom make me some sliders and a bed rack (because overland, duh? lol). So after a few weeks of waiting this is what I have:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

The rack will hold the spare, a 4 gallon Rotopax because she's a thirsty girl, hi-lift and various recover gear associated with the winch etc. It also has a provision for the CB antenna and additional Rotopax mounts for water/coolant or whatever else I can decide. This frees up the bed by allowing me to lose the giant heavy steel tool box and go to a lightweight footlocker for spare parts. It also allows me to camp in the bed if need be.

The sliders have an integrated step (a requirement from the wife) and protection for the saddle tanks. The are also bolt on so they can be removed to service the tanks. I need to replace the passenger side as it has a pin hole leak.

I intend to drive the truck wherever I go to wheel, gas prices be damned so it needs to have the ability go down the highway at 70 mph. Next mods up after the fuel tank replacement, is hydro assist steering. I'll post more pics of the sliders when I get a chance to take some.
JA50N is offline   Reply With Quote