View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
no1udknow

Re: jimbosprint 1972 C20 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbosprint View Post
Can of worms...

I just wanted to do a compression test, but I had a couple parts from LMC I just couldn't wait to put on like the decal for my freshly painted air cleaner. I also ordered new oil caps and for some stupid reason I decided to replace the one on the passenger valve cover. Turns out it was so old and dry that it broke into pieces that fell into the valve cover. I don't want that in the oil system, so now I have to take the valve cover off before I can start the engine again or do a compression test.

It's a bit of a pain because of the AC compressor, but I get the cover off and find a crispy black worthless gasket under it, along with this:

The second rocker from the front (right on photo) is loose and sits twisted off the side of the valve spring. I took it off and find the pushrod is bent and there is a really big gouge in the side of the stud where the rocker was cutting into it. The hole in the rocker is also worn out of shape a little. I thought there was a lifter making noise, but I believe this was the problem.

Now the tough decision - keep digging or pull the motor out? I really wish I had done that compression test, and I really wanted to drive it before taking it completely apart.
I have had some experience with this on my 73, the stud was messed up and started to come loose. My dad was looking at it with me and told me I had 2 options, either pull the head and take it down to have the stud welded in, or pull the stud, thread the hole, and use a threaded stud. The original studs are pressed into the hole and can be removed using a nut and a socket that fits over the stud, just tighten down the nut and heat the head at the base of the stud with a map gas torch and it will pull out. Then you can find replacement stud kits that come with a tap, you tap the hole, and thread in the new stud with some green loctite and voila... new stud. then you can get a new push rod pretty cheap at the local auto parts house.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote