Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #465
cornerstone

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyfreud View Post

I was asking because I'm actually going to start prototyping a cold air box for our engine bays sometime in December. I've got my large format 3d printer on pre-order now, and am going to start modeling it in Fusion360.
Certainly, don't wait on me, but if the timing worked out and you were interested I'd love to have a tester or two.

The idea is to build a box that fits nicely, in this case, in the passenger location, and utilizes an easy-to-find off-the-shelf filter, whether it's a cone style or drop-in-rectangle. It could be designed such that coming right off the box your MAF could attach I imagine.

But curious to hear what your wants and needs would be if you were building the ideal box.
I've been known to be a test dummy myself! I am at the point of deciding what should go where under the hood of my 72 also, so if I can be a help to you, count me in. TA_C10 and I live within 30 miles of each other so I'd be easy for us to compare 2 systems side by side, take notes and report back.

I've been pondering the idea of running the ducting through the core support and building a "ram air" style filter box between the grille and support, or just have a filter box there and take the fresh air from a custom built scoop hidden down low. I haven't put the pencil to the paper yet, but will very soon. I'd like to have something unique, as opposed to the 90 bend into a straight tube with the cone filter, like the Spectre 9906.

I saw this custom one at the C10 Nationals a few months ago, an incredibly beautiful truck built by 68 short step. My thought was to continue the piping through the core support and have the filter out of the heat.

If I go that route I'll definitely need to add some length to the harness. Can extending the wiring to the MAF cause any issues?
Attached Images

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote