Thread: Which camshaft?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
72kool

Which camshaft?

After some more planning, what I need for my truck to be a daily driver is eating a small budget quickly. I'm putting the vortec heads to the side for now. Honestly will probably sell them and go with better heads in the future. For now I am pulling the engine out, Paint, new gaskets, new external wear parts ( water and fuel pumps,belts, one wire alternator, etc.)
While it's out I'm going to change cams because it's easy to do now. What is the best cam for torque with stock engine? It is a 1972 350 rated at 175 hp from factory. Probably pushing 140 now haha.
The ngine build plan for now and the future is strictly torque. Not milage ( that word never applied to these bricks) and not hp. It is a workhorse and torque wins over hp.
I am unable to confirm the head numbers til I pull it and deep clean the engine. I would like to have parts in hand before that point. What is your experience? Any go to camshaft for high torque in a stock engine? I plan on getting the cam lifters in a kit so as to match, and I'm upgrading to double roller timing chain. I do have HEI ignition already. I will also be going dual exhaust at this time also. Fuel is supplied by a well built factory quadrajet and it has no plans on leaving anytime soon. I just like it too much. Also if there are any suggestions for a better spring to compliment the cam, I am open to suggestions as long as it fits the budget.

You guys have been great help with all my questions. Thanks once again