View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Kipps, I was a bit west of where you went. I was west of Stephens City out VA55 a ways into Shenandoah County along Cedar Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
Picked nine pounds of blueberries this morning...grilling bratwurst momentarily.
Reminds me of when I came back from the wonderful Flagstaff area to Maryland. It may be humid back here with less open space and smaller mountains, but it has it's pluses and one is natures bounty on the table not hauled in by truck from who knows where. The difference between the comfortable arid climate and the humid east is you bust your butt to get anything to grow vs you bust your butt to keep everything from being overtaken by growth. That translates into the best farm country and locally produced food!

When I got back it was late summer and my friend had folks over for an outside party. His farmhouse was surrounded by corn field with some rows of sweet corn at the edge of his yard. We cooked some straight off the stalk. We had pork tenderloin on the grille from a local farm, crabs and sea trout from the Chesapeake Bay, cole slaw made with cabbage from his garden cabbage, peach daiquiris made from peaches we picked an hour earlier, and cucumber/onion salad from fresh picked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What did I do yesterday? Same thing I did on Saturday. I hooked up my trailer and drove two hours to go load cinder block to haul home for a big cellar improvement project on my place. I had placed a WTB listing on Craigslist for 250 and found all I needed for $50, that's $.20@ compared to $1.10@ retail. But two hours away. I decided it would be nice to go see this patch of Virginia I haven't covered. Sometimes it's about more than cost effective, but I did get about $300 worth of block for $50 + $50 in fuel, while getting out to some fine country through apple orchards and into the mountains a bit. I've also been hunting for a place to move to farther out from the rat race, and I have found interesting places in this area in my searching. Not real far from my one sister either and closer to my mom, too.

I stopped by this little store and got a sandwich. The friendliest pretty lady I've spoken to in a long time. The feller, probably her husband, and a younger gal making sandwiches, possibly their daughter, all made it a great downhome welcome experience that made me feel like I belonged there.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-17-2020 at 09:11 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote