View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #127
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Ok guys just a small update to keep my build thread from falling into the internet abyss. I finally finished welding up all the holes in the frame that had accumulated over the years from previous owners. At last count I think I patched 42 holes that I didn't need. This of course took me some time because New Jersey has been under a deep freeze as of late and I just couldn't get myself up to going out to the garage when it was 2 below. I guess I should get some heat out there.

Any way my sandblaster friend finally got off his but and picked up my frame after promising me for 3 weeks he would do it for me.

Should have it back by the end of the week!

Only other news to report is the engine shop continues to gather parts for the motor and has finished up the machine work on the head and installed the lumps in the intake ports. Things are moving kind of slow on my motor because this is the busy season for Larry's Power rebuilding race engines for the local circle track guys.

For those of you not familiar with lump ports.......The inline six head was designed from the factory with the head bolt passing directly through the center of the intake port, thus restricting air flow. What the hell were the engineers at GM thinking when they designed that?????

Soooo the fix is to cut the bolt boss out of the port and recess new shorter bolts into the lumps mounted to the floor of the port. Then insert a pipe plug in the hole at the top of the port where the old head bolt was. Here's a pic of my head showing the center divider removed and the lump installed. Supposedly all the dyno tests show a 20-30% increase in airflow through the port. We'll see as dyno day for this engine will be sometime in the spring.

Here's the facebook link to Larry's Power if anyone in interested in a lot of cool pics and videos.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...68904043122881
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote