View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 09:37 AM   #6
T/C

Re: Bagged 66 swb stepside project: Major Chip Hazard

I going to break the prep for the z in the frame down in to two posts.

One will be about the jigs to hold everything in place and where i found the best placement to be.

First thing i did was level the frame as best as possible. I took my angle dial and marked spots along the frame (matching each spot on the opposite side of the frame).

The points i used were on the long section where the cab mounts.

The angled section where the trans crossmember is ( i used the freest forward revit as a locator for the dial on both sides.

The bolts on top of the suspension crossmember.

And the flat section forward of the radiator mounting location.

All but the marks forward of the trans crossmember were 0 degrees i believe the trans mark was 22 degrees (don’t use this for comparison i am just giving the number for context to the others)

The goal here was to have numbers to match up after the frame is cut and tacked in place to know everything moved evenly.

Along with these marks i also marked the floor where the legs of my jigs are located.

I am going to be doing a 3” z and extending the frame 1” so the back legs were marked to not be moved. The cross member legs were marked and need to be moved forward 1” when all is done. And the very front is marked and needs to not be moved.

With the jig legs there are some factors with room that you have to pay attention to.

Starting from the cab area

The first legs didn’t really matter they are only there to hold the back half still after being cut they were only used to hold the frame level and keep my zero. I used the body mount bracket.

For the cross member you need 4 braces i braced as far out as possible without having to interfere with cuts. The first legs i mounted up against the shock mounts. The further forward set i mounted just behind where i want to cut the front section.

For the front (bumper radiator area) you have to think some things out. This area is being moved to keep the radiator bumper and steet metal all in place. I am also changing the wheel base so i have to also remove the 1” that i am adding further back so everything will line up.

All of the steering needs to stay with the crossmember and everything else needs to stay with the radiator and bumper so it gets really tight. I chose to cut just behind the bumper bracket that is furthest back i will have to fab up a bracket when doing my frame platting to mount the last hole on my steering box but not a big issue.
Attached Images

T/C is offline   Reply With Quote