View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: No warp hole filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
Have you ever used it in the seams of a LWB side?
Sorry, can't say I have since mine is a short stepside. If you're talking about the veritcal joint on the outside at the rear of the bed, I'd have no problem filling that with this method. It's really no different that the seam on my front fender. I don't think that area would have any more inherent flex than a front fender. And my front fender has had the hood slammed against it for ten years, along with close to 50,000 miles rough driving over a lot of gravel and rock roads. I live in the Northwest where the temperatures also range from the 90's in summer to sub zero in the winter. This stuff really does have the consistency of metal once cured.

The key to success is having the surfaces rough and clean, and fully packing the material in the seam. This is how I'd do it:

1. Wash the gap and the surrounding area with wax and grease remover.
2. Sandblast the gap thoroughly. If necessary do it again to make sure it is completely clean.
3. Take great care with a pick and air hose to make sure the area is completely free of debris. It's important no sand particles remain as they will interfere with the epoxy gripping the metal.
4. Wash the gap with wax and grease remover again.
5. Tear off and set aside a strip of duct tape long enough to cover the seam.
6. Starting at the bottom, pack the material in the gap with a small putty knife or Bondo spreader. Work your way up the seam covering with duct tape as you go.

I prefer doing this work in a horizontal position so it has natural flow to help in filling. For areas where this isn't practical, the duct tape seals the epoxy in the desired position until it cures.

It takes several hours for the material to set up so it has a tendency to run during this period, leaving you plenty of time to press it into position before covering. Should you end up with any gaps, simply repeat the process. Once the cavity is completely filled, simply block it out smooth and cover with a thin coat of body filler or primer as needed.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote