View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 AM   #94
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

Well, good news and bad news.

The good news is I got the 700r4 installed. The bad news is we almost burned the truck to the ground.

After the trans was installed, we started the truck to cycle the trans fluid through the valve body and get the fluid running through the cooler and look for leaks.

However, the engine would stumble, misfire and eventually choke itself out. We put new gas in the tank and same story. We put the truck back on the lift and looked for kinked lines and leaks, as the truck was clearly having fuel deliver issues. Nothing.

So, we pulled one of the two filters and sure enough, flakes and debris from the gas tank, which almost guarantees that the new Edelbrock is full of crap from the float bowl to the idle mixture seats... so, it's off and tear it apart time... again.

Needless to say, one of the things I ordered from the big Brothers Truck sale, was a new 25 gallon Blazer/Suburban gas tank to replace the spare tire carrier.

One benefit of the gas related issues, was that, while the hood was up, I noticed smoke coming from two locations in the wiring harness along the firewall. Sam, from Tualatin Transmissions, opened the wire loom and the wires were hotter than hell and smoking! He checked the ignition and the key was in the on position and when we turned to the off position, the wiring calmed down. Had the truck run as good as it did two days ago, I might have been on the side of the road watching it burn to the ground. It's a God thing, right? Needless to say, I have a new AAW harness on it's way and hopefully, in a couple of weeks, I will have the new gauge cluster, shift indicator, wiring harness and gas tank in the truck, so I can go back to Tualation Transmissions and have Sam dial in the transmission and speedometer.

So, I decided to have it towed to my racing buddy's shop, where he was getting his car ready for this weekend. I told the tow truck driver to follow me, as he was having difficulty understanding that the race shop was actually two blocks from his company's yard. On the way there, I was stopped at a light and I noticed something in the rear view mirror. All I saw was a RAM grill emblem as it rammed into the rear of my Buick Regal... the tow truck carrying my truck had rear ended me.

I will be going to several body shops Monday to get prices on what needs to be repaired. The only redeeming factor was getting my truck delivered for "free" so to speak.

Tomorrow is another day!

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote