View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
rechinca

Re: removing leaves and dribris from foot well of cowl area

My wife’s truck is a ‘71 F250 that is super clean. Luckily no rust as the fresh air vent/kick panel portion of the cowl was packed in 46 years of dirt, leaves and pine needles to the point rain water was coming out of the vent into the cab. I had to dig all of the crap out by hand and then flush with a hose to get it all out.

It had a lot of surface rust so I bought a couple of cans of Eastwood’s Internal Frame Coating. It comes with a long clear plastic hose that has a small brass nozzle with three holes in it. I taped some baling wire to the hose so I could direct the coating better to where I needed it. The coating has a converter in it to help slow/stop rust spread and is really thin so it flows more like water than paint. The old Fords don’t have a removable panel on top of the cowl like the Chevy’s, but with the Eastwood product and hose I just ran it down the slots and then sprayed the entire cowl air box.

Side note, the coating runs/flows really well so put something underneath the drain holes at the bottom as it will make a mess. You can also then take the tube off the nozzle when you’re done and flush it with aerosol brake cleaner and then blow it out with your compressor so you can reuse it later. Almost three years later and it shows no sign of rust coming back.

Last edited by rechinca; 09-21-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
rechinca is offline   Reply With Quote