View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #55
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

After grinding the roof gutter cavity to bare metal and coating with epoxy primer, the lower portion of the rain gutters were filled up with Evercoat Maxim self leveling seam sealer. One huge advantage to this product is that it uses a standard caulking gun. Now instead of water sitting in a trough with no drain, it just flows over the edge preventing future rust damage:

Most of the paint was in good condition, but the front of the hood was covered in chips while the top of both rear fenders had numerous star chips from living on a broken rock railroad grade for nine years. After featheredging or grinding to bare metal as needed UPol 2K primer was applied with foam rollers and brushes. Since it was going to be sanded anyway, this eliminated the mess and clean up of spraying the primer.

The rear fenders took a couple of coats with blocking in between to get the surface perfectly flat again:

And here’s the truck just about ready for paint. Also note the chain temporarily bolted to the frame and dragging on the floor. A tip I learned for reducing the build up of static electricity on the body surface. It really does help in reducing the attraction of dust during the painting process:

Here’s a shot right after unmasking. I looks pretty good – at first:

Last edited by markeb01; 10-30-2012 at 12:05 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote