View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
MikeB

Re: Those of you who converted to rear disk, can you feel much of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
If you like a hokey half ass parking brake then rear discs are for you.
Have a friend who bought a 56 Chevy sedan that had a 9-inch rear end from a late 70s Lincoln Versailles. The brakes work fine, but parking brakes are almost worthless and just about impossible to adjust. Can't tell you how many hours we have spent trying to get them to work. Same may be true for other parking brake systems where pads are clamped to the rotor by turning/ratcheting the piston. Some Hondas, on the other hand, use that system and work fine.

He may eventually go with a kit that uses rotors with integral drums and small parking brake shoes. But he's also considering a Speedway drum brake kit! I hear those Ford drum brakes originally used in trucks and 4,000 lb full-size cars work very well.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 06-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote