View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
MikeB

Re: Those of you who converted to rear disk, can you feel much of a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
Also, if you go all drums, or all discs, is a proportion valve still needed?
GM didn't use a prop valve in my 69 C10 truck with drum/drum. Can't say if that's true for all vehicles.

As for disc/disc, I think the only reason to use a prop valve would be if the rears have a tendency to lock up, as might be the case when using aftermarket parts that aren't balanced for a specific vehicle's front/rear weight bias. In that case, I would use a manual adjustable valve, instead of a generic valve designed for a specific vehicle.

As an example, I had a disc/drum 55 Chevy with a 7.5" 10-bolt axle originally used under lighter weight G-body cars. With its wimpy 9" drums, my best brake performance was with the manual valve (installed by the previous owner) cranked to max pressure to the rear. So it served no purpose at all. Now with 11" rear drums and shoes, it might have been needed to prevent premature rear lock-up.

Start here about 2/3 down the page under Valves FAQ:
https://info.mpbrakes.com/faqs
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote