View Single Post
Old 12-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #36
dmjlambert

Re: Any electronics nerds interested in Arduino/Atmel?

So, bringing up this older thread to continue discussion. It's a slow process to work on the truck, but now that I finally got the air conditioning going I can think about other things. I was forbidding myself to work on other things until I got the darned A/C going. Here in Texas for a daily driver truck, A/C is pretty important for comfort. Although I usually roll down the window and stick my arm out, there are a few dozen days here where it is HOT.

Anyway back to the electronics and programming nerd discussion, I have in my truck's future the idea of power window for the passenger side. I have such a strong passion for rolling the windows down while I drive, if it's not too hot. And it rains a lot here. So when it starts raining, I need to pull over in a parking lot, put the truck in park, and scoot way across the truck and roll up that window. So, when I do the power windows as described in the "power windows on the cheap" thread, I will want to add a controller. I'm not too much into the idea of mounting typical power window buttons, I just don't like the look. So, I got a cruise control stalk. They reproduce these now, but I got an old used one off eBay.

Name:  stalk.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  69.8 KB

Now I am working on the idea of using that button to roll the window up and down, and I've also considered hiding my garage door remote and operate it via a relay, and perhaps temporarily turning on windshield wipers (mist control), and perhaps one day in the future install cruise control. Do all those things and more with one button.

The code:
https://pastebin.com/dPbVhxqk

Demo video of the code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDpqLDz1xEk

So what are the best button press patterns to use to do the various things? My initial thoughts are the cruise control pass through as described in the program is likely to work fine. That is a slow press followed by slow release, and is sent to the cruise control as a fast press followed by finger controlled slow release. Then the next most frequent thing I would do is rolling that passenger window up and down. So I would probably do that with a fast press to start the window moving, and release the button to stop the window rolling. I will program it so every time I operate the window it would move in the opposite direction compared to the previous movement. Quick press and release can do the garage door remote.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 12-13-2021 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Change some words and minor corrections
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote