View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
SKR

Re: What TF happened to square prices in the US?

There's a few things here, I think.

First, if you don't have a stupid asking price, you won't get stupid money. I've listed a truck for what I thought was a pretty high price. I've also listed one for a more than fair price. Both sold almost immediately, and I wonder how much more I could have gotten if I listed them for higher. You don't get it if you don't ask, and you can always bring your asking price down.

Second, all it takes is someone looking for that exact thing. For me, for certain exterior or interior colors, there's no price low enough that would interest me. For other colors, like black on red in this example, I'm willing to pay a lot more because that's the way I'd want it.

Third, there's a value on having something you can twist the key and go. I know for a lot of people, there's a lot of joy and pride that comes from building something themselves. For me, I've worked on enough junk on the farm growing up that I never want to do it again. If I can find something with the right color, the right wheels, the right driveline, the right stance, there's a lot of value there in jumping right to the end of a build and getting a chance to drive it. I don't think one approach is any better than the other, it just depends on what you're into.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be interested in it for even half that price. The color is right, but I don't like the wheels, it's not low enough, it's not a GMC, it's only got single headlights, it's not an 81-82. If it was all those things though, I'd be awfully willing to pay a premium over what it cost to build it just to jump to the end of the line where I get to drive it.
SKR is offline   Reply With Quote