View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #27
jimmythompson1964

Re: 1966 C 10 - "Wild Thang"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy63 View Post
Did you ever get the balance issue truly fixed ? Between the balancer walking off and the broken water pump, My guess is something is out of balance.In all my years of working on small block chevy's never have I seen a water pump break like that.
Lumpy63, I was at a loss same as you at first, I had never heard of that happening either, I have a friend that races street stock dirt track and has had that happen using the 7 blade fan so he went back to the good old 4 blade and no spacer. So after some time to process all of the facts here is what I think:
1- solid 7 blade fan that was reasonably heavy
2- 3” spacer between the water pump and the fan trying to get the fan closer to the radiator (no shroud trying to keep it cool)
3- turning it about 6800 hundred RPM’s and slamming a 4 speed caused it to pull off the pressed on piece the fan bolts to. The fan may have been out of balance.

Electric fan set up installed so no worries now...

Now that you mention something about being out of balance you made me think... as I posted earlier I had some issues with getting the flywheel balanced when I change it from an automatic trans, Maybe that contributed to this failure, I,m glad I caught it before I left on the Power Tour.
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote