View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #200
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

10/8 Drilling Down

Slowly but surely I'm making progress!

Got the correct length speedo cable installed and installed a stock style throttle cable. I was surprised it fit so well with the engine moved forward 1.75". I originally mocked in a 4x2 throttle cable but it was WAY too long. So it went into the "sh*t to sell" box that keeps growing

Name:  IMG_4492.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  110.3 KB

I got the heater control cables routed but I need the correct size push nuts (5/16" I think) to hold them onto the plenum actuator shafts. I bought a bunch of the 1/4" push nuts since that's what size is needed on the heater controller but apparently they're larger on the plenum

The cables seem to operate OKAY but they are pretty stiff and getting the correct amount of travel to operate properly is a huge PITA. Anyone else have the same issue with new heater cables?

I then turned my attention to the rear cargo area. My K5 was not a CST truck and did not have the any of the holes drilled from the factory. So I put 24 new holes in my truck (so far haha) so I could mock up the CST panels.

Name:  IMG_4564.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  56.1 KB

Then I wanted to get the carpet laid in so I could drill holes for the carpet strips...this is where I ran into a snag.

I ordered my carpet from StockInteriors.com (it's ACC carpet) and while the front carpet fit rather well and I'm over all happy with it, the rear carpet seems to be cut way off. With the carpet centered around the wheel wells the carpet is roughly 4" short from the end of the bed when it should be tucked under the carpet strip. This pic shows the issue.

Name:  IMG_4565.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  62.4 KB

I am EXTREMELY happy to say that StockInteriors is standing behind their product and all it took to have them ship me a new piece was a couple measurements and pictures - even though I ordered this carpet 18 months ago!

So new carpet is on its way and I can resume making new holes in my ride

And this pic is just because she's a stunner
Name:  IMG_4577.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  91.4 KB

aaaand finally here's an update to my ever evolving to-do list:

PUNCH LIST
Under Dash
-Finish Heater control cable installation (need 5/16" push nuts)
-Radio + Aux/USB in the cig lighter + hidden antenna
-Connect choke wire to wiper plug
-Connect dash grounds
-Check carb gets to WOT with pedal travel
-Install glove box

Interior
-Install door seals (ordered new press on seals)
-Cut MLV and install under front carpet
-Finalize front carpet placement and make holes for shifter, dimmer switch, + seat bolts, seat belts
-Install shifter, boot, + trim ring
-Install new rear carpet
-Drill holes for: front + rear carpet strips, sill plates, tailgate seal vertical strips, center console mounting holes

Underhood
-Install heater hose nipples to engine/water pump
-Install Evap canister and hook up hoses
-Install brake booster hose
-Finish mounting battery tray
-Finish underhood wiring
-Install radiator overflow
-Install wiper fluid resevior
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote