View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
broberson

1970 C10 Alternator/wiring issue

So I replaced my alternator because it was magnetized on the front. After replacing it, I added a new 2 wire alternator connector because the old plastic plug was rotted. When I started the truck, the one wire from the plug got really really hot, as did the alternator. Killed the truck, reversed the wires thinking maybe the instructions were incorrect or I had remembered it wrong. After plugging it in, without even starting it, the two wires instantly got hot, so I unplugged it, and went back to the original setup.

I started the truck again a bit later, and the one wire basically melted and the alternator was really hot too. I read that if the battery was low on charge that this would make the alternator run hot, but that isn't the case here, the battery is fully charged. I unplugged the two wire plug from the alternator, and the truck runs great, the alternator stays cool, and no issues there. However, my tach does not work because the wire that is unplugged goes to the ignition. I have pictures of the insturctions attached, so I was hoping for some help here.

The two wires in question are located in circuit branch 8, and is the 4A plug that inserts on the 1 pin behind the alternator (this is the one that melted), and the wire that jumps from the 2 pin to the red power post on the alternator.

My questions are 1. What do the two pins labeled 1 and 2 on the rear of the alternator do? 2. How or where can I place the 4A wire in order to power my ignition/tachometer?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have three pages attached, the instructions from american autowire 20 circuit harness. The three pages have instructions in the area I am having trouble with.
Attached Images

broberson is offline   Reply With Quote