View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:49 PM   #4
broberson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
You've got me puzzled about several things. I've never heard of needing to replace an alternator because it was magnetized on the front. What is that like? Was it not working?

-It would actually drain the battery dead. The mechanic advised me that the magnetism was the reason it was bad. So that’s the reason I replaced it.

Were you replacing the original alternator that requires the external regulator with an internally regulated alternator? Or replacing with another alternator just like the one you removed?
Have you also replaced wiring on the truck?
- I rewired the entire truck w the American autowire 20 circuit, and the instructions said I didn’t need an external regulator. I bought a remanufactured GM- SI alternator, and I actually don’t know if it is internally or externally regulated.

You also said tach does not work because the wire that is unplugged goes to the ignition. I don't see how the tach could be related to a wire plugged or unplugged at the alternator. You should be able to completely remove the alternator and all connections, and run the truck and everything will work except battery charging. So you really have me puzzled there and I think others may need to help with that one.
- The tach is an aftermarket replacement, but it’s powered from the 4A wire on the diagram I provided. The truck runs great without the alternator, I just don’t have any power to the 4A branch from the alternator..

It would be good to see some pictures of what you have. Front and back of the old and new alternators and any custom wiring, and what is the wiring like at the regulator, and any jumpers you have at the regulator plug if you use an internally regulated alternator.
I’ll take some pictures this weekend and post them
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by broberson; 08-13-2019 at 12:09 AM.
broberson is offline   Reply With Quote