View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #14
dmjlambert

Re: Getting up the nerve to tackle A/C, need to remove the old

Progress. Today I spent removing the passenger side inner fender. I sure like this forum, lots of great information here. Thank you all for posting lots of great info and pictures.

I found out what the deal is about the square nuts that spin freely on the inside of the fender while I was trying to loosen the bolts from the wheel well. I had to grip the square nuts by reaching into some pretty remote places, and when done removing the bolt, I brought away with my crescent wrench just a rusty square nut. I couldn't figure out what should have been holding those in place and what would normally keep them from spinning until I looked at threads here like this one. So, they are called J-nuts. After 50 years they are just plain square nuts partnered with a teaspoon of red rusty particles.

I was lucky that all of them were reachable except one which is a few inches to the rear of the center of the wheel opening. That is the only one I was not going to be able to reach from the inside, and it so happens that is the only J-nut I had that was in good shape and working. Lucky me! Ok, now done with body work, back to the A/C job.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote