View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #116
cornerstone

Re: Uncle Loyd's 72' C-10

Well, no luck. Here's what I did since last attempt.

I cleaned out the intake runners in the head and the tops of the intake valves of deposits, it's now way cleaner.

I bought a set of OEM re-man injectors that have been cleaned with multiple ultrasonic baths, tested for electrical shorts, back flushed and leak tested, and flow matched and calibrated, reassembled with new seals and filters. Yesterday I got everything back together fairly easily.

I wired up the fuel pump and ran it until gas flowed out of the fitting on top of the motor. Next I pulled the spark plugs, attached the fuel line back to the feed line on top of the motor, got power to the ecm and spun the motor over for about 15 seconds. My thinking in doing this was to get oil flowing through it and also to hopefully pressurize the fuel rails so the injectors would spray fuel sooner than later. I don't really know if any of these things happened. One thing I did notice when turning the motor over was the plug wires would arc if a ground was close by. That little bit of life got me excited to think it was gonna fire up...

All that was left to do was to put the spark plugs back in and crank her over. (After a quick prayer of course) I turned it over for about 5 seconds and nothing... waited a few more seconds and gave it a longer crank. This time I went for probably 12-15 seconds and I saw smoke. The ground wire shrouding from the battery to the frame was beginning to melt, it wasn't really the proper gauge so I should've known better to crank it that long.

So today I'll add a proper gauge ground wire from the battery to the motor this time and give it another go.

How would I know if the injectors are adding fuel?

Any other ideas on how to get this thing started?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote