View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #88
OrrieG

Re: Lurker OrrieG Progress Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel U View Post
How much $$ will you be out if you're not happy with the finished product? I say go for it if you're confident.
Dupont Chromacolor Base and Clear Coat paint will cost about $400-500. Etch and sanding primer so far has been about $150. Best quote I have gotten so far to final block, shoot, cut and polish it is $5500. Nice thing about the BB-CC paint is if you get runs, bugs, dust, etc. you can sand it down and reapply until you are happy.

I shot the primer in my two car shop, basically broomed and moped the floor, draped the work benches and shelves with plastic. I did not know what to expect, last paint I shot was laquer in the early 80's and it fogged up everything. This primer basically layers where you point the gun, there wasn't even enough residue on the floor to sweep. I had a few bugs on the ceiling die from the fumes and land on the roof but that is an easy fix when blocking it.

I will probably rent a booth to do the final, there is a guy in town building a facility just for hobbists to rent in 24 hour increments. Since the paint dries fast and ideally you can clear right after shooting the base 24 hours should be enough time to get base down, light sand, and clear and still have time to take care of any goof ups. God knows I've been up for 24 hours straight more than a few times in my life. I can cut and polish at home.

Last edited by OrrieG; 10-28-2008 at 12:43 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote