View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 PM   #216
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The up side of the fuel guage debacle is yesterday when I got done with the guages I wasn't sure if the fuel reading was wrong or if the new guage just displayed a lower level. I knew I was low on fuel so I went and filled the tank for the first time since I bought it. It took 15.2 gallons in the stock tank. I don't know how empty that is, but it didn't cause the guage to move. Forward to today and when I crawled under the back to check out the wiring. I found the fill hose had softened and split and now fuel was dripping steadily from it. I had been smelling gas all morning, but thought it was from this 66 427 motor that had appeared next to the WMB on the overnight. I was aware the hose was kinked and it was on the list. But just not today's list. I had to order a foot of 1 3/8" hose to get the 7" I needed. I will replace the vent hose too.
Also today I reworked the front bumpstops. The new air bags are taller when they are aired out by about 1 9/16". I scored the two red 1 1/2" bumpers at the swap meet. I installed them in the upper plate holes and added a 1/4" spacer to the lower bumpers. Then it was just a matter of drilling two new holes for the plate bolts. I'm not sure this will be a long term solution as I'm also thinking of adding some steering stops. So why not combine the two like GM did? I will have to replace the control arm bushings and ball joints at some point not to far down the road. To make that job quicker I want to get a second set of control arms, rebuild them and then its just a swap out.
I have noticed that the new air bags are touching the lower control arm when aired out. So it looks as if some modifications are needed. I did a quick check of the interweb and didn't find any lower arms with air bag clearance that were set up for a stock sway bar. I guess it's time for some more imagineering.
And thank you Advanced Design. Hot metal chips are a good reason for a big beard.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote