View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 12:14 AM   #62
CS1972

Re: DG4 Below eyeline mirrors, replacement elbows and mirror heads

After finding a set of DG4's and associated hardware many many months ago I'm finally ready to install my mirrors but have a few questions to clarify before dropping off at the body shop.

A little background, my SPID has the DG4's listed as an option, but during a prior repaint the owner changed to the Sport Mirrors. I LOVE the DG4's and more importantly I want my truck the way it should be. The Sport mirrors / backing plates are now with Cliff (72 Jimmy Power) in South SF so there's no turning back on this project.

When I disassembled the doors and looked inside I can see where the body guy used bondo/fiberglass to fill the holes. On the outside of the doors and in the right light I can see faint signs of where the holes used to be.

Anyway, onto my questions.

When I measure from the leading door edge to the top hole it is 7.25" (7-1/4") on Drivers side, but on the Passenger side I come up with 8.25" (8-1/4") - arrow on green piece of tape in picture, a 1" difference. I confirmed those are the old holes by using my paint gauge as it reads 0 when I put it on the hole. Anyone else out there with these measurements? Or is the 8.25" right for both sides?

I was originally going to use the factory sheet metal bolts, but then the body shop guy starting talking about "Rivnuts" / "Nutserts" and when I looked at some videos these seem to be a much better method to secure the mirrors, has anyone done this? Any horror stories I should know?

Observations, 1. the leading edge of where the inner & outer door skins meet just so happens to be 8.25" as well, coincidence? 2. was the drivers side mounted closer to the front of the truck because a person in the drivers seat would want the mirror further away to have a larger side / rear view and on the passenger side the mounting would be back further from the front so the vent window frame did not obstruct your view?

All holes will be welded closed, no bondo this go around.

I'm tying in this post as it also contains a lot of good stuff tied to these mirrors https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=795168
Attached Images

1972 Cheyenne Super 1/2 ton LWB 4x4 - Grapefruit Yellow / White
CS1972 is offline   Reply With Quote