View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
Nick_R_23

Re: Temp sensors and LS swaps

I've never heard of the 1/2-18 sensors either, but they are listed on both Napa and Oreilly's website so I didn't think it was a misprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
You have to match the temp gauge to the temp sender or it will not read as accurately as they were originally setup to read. Different may not be that bad. Honestly these gauges are a matter of getting used to the "normal" reading rather than any real accuracy. As long as the gauge reads near the middle when the engine temp is somewhere between 190°F and 210°F it'll work fine. I'd try the 1979-1980 3/8NPT sender in an LS adapter and see if that makes you happy.
If you just can't stand having a slight mis-match I'd get a temp gauge from a 1979-1980 to go along with the sender. The fonts and colors should match 1978.
It's been a while since I've looked under the hood, but I believe this truck uses the 1/2" nailhead sensor.

I know the gauges are not super accurate by any means but I'd rather not make the problem worse by installing junk aftermarket sensors. I read that most people with those have the gauges barely move or end up in the first 1/4" of range. If I could see the gauge stay in the middle at operating temp like you mentioned above, that would be the ideal scenario for me, as that would be the closest to how a modern gauge reads.

I found that the Lectric Limited sensor seems to be favored for the highest accuracy...which I may try first. Any personal experience with these?
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote