View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
60-66

Re: NEW TO SITE! Engine swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLYONS11 View Post
Thanks guys! Knowing that I can fit a BBC in the truck is getting me really excited to get started.

60-66, what did you use to trim the top of the frame rail? Will a cut off wheel do it? I also noticed it appears that you are converting to power steering but have not plumbed it yet??? Is that from a 70's truck? Did you have to modify the shaft at all?

I am going to get the truck later this month. I'll be sure to post some photos of the progress. I'm sure glad you guys and this site are around. I'm sure I'll be blowing up the site with new questions every day! My biggest concerns are just getting the right engine, trans, and rear end combo. This will not be a daily driver, but it will certainly be a weekend warrior. I want to be able to cruise at highway/interstate speeds with ease and comfort. I plan to make it somewhat of a "rusto-mod". Bad a** engine! nice interior, modern drive components, and original as it sits exterior.
I used a sawzall then just cleaned it up with a grinder. As for the power steering, Captain Fab sells an Excellent PS adapter plate among other things that show step by step what to do. My truck is up and running as of last week. I used all 68-71 PS pump and brackets on a short water pump. Most of these parts are pricey on Ebay, but if your not in a hurry can be found very reasonable. The rubber mounts are now reproduced which brought that price down a bit. As 1963C-10 says long water pump is an option as brackets are much cheaper but I don't think it will work with the frame mounts, you also will have do ding in the firewall with the stock mounts from a 63-66 v8 truck. That's why I chose the 68-71s, gives you more room by the firewall for an HEI, valve covers etc, but there are plenty of opinions and directions that work fine. This is just mine. If you need more pictures, no problem. Jon
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote