View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #29
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: My '46 Chevy Pickup - The Innaugural Pre '47 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Kabwe, thanks forthe positive on the Hobart. I blunt it from a guy on Garagejournal.com who had only bought it new last October then bought a bigger, 220v unit. I don't have a bottle and can use your recommendation where to buy one l, what size and which gas for sheet metal work? I need to patch about 8-10 holes in the firewall of varying sizes. I THINK I've read my body is 18 gage, is that probably correct? Where is the best/cheapest place to get a small amount of flat sheet in matching gage (I assume that's critical?). What fasteners do you recommend I use to gold the small hole patches in place while I weld them in?

Oh, and I do intend to practice on some scrap sheet metal if I can find a fender or something cheap to play with.
Let me try to answer all your questions
1. Mig welding gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2). You can buy it at a welding supply (don't go to airgas they are crazy) the bottle is expensive but its yours and you just keep refilling it. Size depends on how much you weld you make the judgment.
2. Sheetmetal I use 18 gauge its easy to find. I go to a metal supply and pick up their scraps for cheap.
3. Fasteners depends on what I'm welding. To fill holes like your talking about I have some welding magnets to hold it while I tack it in place. Sometime you have to be creative when it come to holding stuff in place there are no rules.lol
4. You don't need a fender to practice, just get that 18 gauge cut some scraps and practice welding them together.
5. For sheetmetal welding I use .023 wire. You can use other wire sizes but thats what I like.
6. Learn how to tune your welder to the metal thickness you will be welding. The recommended settings on your welder are close and will do fine most of the time, but I always tune my welder.
I think I answered all your questions.

Oh important tip: Never and I mean never try to run a bead on sheetmetal, you will warp the metal. Use a series of tack welds keeping the metal as cool as possible.

Last edited by Kabwe; 08-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote