View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #31
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: My '46 Chevy Pickup - The Innaugural Pre '47 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I hadn't thought of the magnets, but DUH, of course that makes sense. Are the cheapo ones at Harbor Freight worth buying or are they crap? Can Harbor Freight screw up a magnet?

Last, I know about only using tack welds, BUT...how long to wait between tacks? When welding small dia. patches it would seem the tacks are so close together it'd bebest to have multiple patches going and move from one to another.

What's your opinion of hammering the tacks immediately? This dos what? Minimize the need for grinding? Or should I skip that? How can I weld on the engine side and reach around and back up the body hammer with a dolly inside the truck? My truck isn't apart.

Sorry to add more questions!
Yes the Harbor Freight magnets are cool thats what I have.lol
Having multiple patches going to keep things cool is what I also do.
You really can't hammer mig welds they are very hard you have the grind them down before you use your hammer and dolly. If you are not going for perfection just keep the metal as cool as possible while welding and use body filler to smooth things out ones done. If going for perfection like I try to do for that you will need someone to hold the dolly on the inside of the car while you use the hammer.

Last edited by Kabwe; 01-30-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote