View Single Post
Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #25
Richard2112

Re: 383 Oil Pressure Too High

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I did build the engine, I did measure all clearances. The high pressure oil pump was not intended. I ordered the correct one and recieved and installed the wrong one without checking the part number.
I ordered all the parts from Skip White, so it's their design. I just did not have enough money for them to build it. Plus I wanted the experience of building it myself.
When I built my 383 I measured absolutely everything and I do mean everything. If it wasnt in my spec range I had it machined into my spec range. Had I written it down as I proceeded I'd have blueprinted by build. My rotating assembly was also balanced. But at each step of the build I was looking for tolerances that gave me assurance that I could run 10w30 oil. I don't recall now what those specs were (I measure for a great many other reasons also) but I do know that my clearances allow for 10w30. If your clearances are greater than the .001 per inch of journal diameter then a heavier oil may be warranted depending upon how much beyond that tolerance the clearances are. I use a standard pressure pump on my build and it does fine.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote