View Single Post
Old 01-29-2024, 12:02 PM   #67
loudchevy

Re: BUILD: 1970 C10 LWB “Jumping Cholla”

After spending Friday night and all day Saturday cleaning parts, Sunday (yesterday) was time to prime. I had never used a paint spray gun before so this is my first attempt at painting. I'm not gonna lie I was pretty nervous about it. My wife had a good point while I was telling her this, she said "If you mess it up, just strip it all down again LOL" I started out with the wheel wells to "practice". I am using the A610 LVLP spray gun. I've watched hours of YT videos of people using this LVLP gun with success, so I figured I would try it before I dropped a ton of money on a HVLP gun. I was really surprised how easy the process way. First coat went on wheel wells great! I gave it 30 mins of flash time and applied the second coat. I think I didn't add enough hardener to the mix, because the second coat on the outside of the wells took forever to dry. While I waited for the outside of the wells to dry, I got the core support covered in 2 coats, making sure to add just a little extra hardener in those mixes. The core dried faster than the wells. Overall I was super happy with how the 3 pieces came out and it gave me the confidence to continue learning the new skill of painting. I burned through 2 quarts of the Eastwood Epoxy for just these 3 parts. More epoxy is on the way!

Next parts to paint will be the fenders and cowl. Then I'll do the cab. I wanted some easy practice pieces before doing the cab. I know it will be a challenge to paint with all the surfaces in different planes
Attached Images

2003 Tahoe Stock
1985 K5 5.3LS/4L60E|8Lug 4:56|3/4 Ton Front|14BFF Rear|Roll Cage|Dove-tailed & Bobbed
loudchevy is offline   Reply With Quote