View Single Post
Old 10-12-2018, 06:54 PM   #85
DJ_Baar

Re: My '67 Chevy C20 "Camper Special" Build

Its really starting to come together now. Working-out some issues with BROTHERS' CPP tilt steering column.

Worked thru problem with rag joint provided: it didn't mate with power-steering ASSIST gear box. Took old rag joint & rebuild kit made into SAFE functioning rag joint. (Think I have some pictures of that earlier.)

Still working-out the horn cam ring for correct length. I have been at that since Labor Day weekend! Note that the horn ring cam that came with the steering column is for the OEM Original steering wheel & comes-up short 1/8" from horn retainer button ring. I am now trying a third one and hoping it will work as instructions I found here from D&R Classic Automotive with the extra long "adjustable length" pushrod, spring, and retainer. They have worked well with me. They first sent me one for early Comaro that has right height, but does not fit on shaft with spring as it should, so sending me like what is in these directions they provided that are FOR that "Sport" steering wheel assembly. I never could find out the part BROTHERS used in their video with the steering column. I asked on YouTube in Comments and told to call BROTHERS Tech Support which I did. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_pRKhF3f4U&t=37s)

From minimal instructions received I found out it was a CPP product and tried conacting them a couple times, but no response. And word to wise, CPP list that they use IDIDIT steering columns on thier website, but this is a, and I quote from IDIDIT Tech Support, "a Chinese KNOCK-OFF." And simply could not get answer to BROTHERS video of HOW they mounted same (or "similar" Sport Steering Wheel) to what they had in video. (I bought that at better price via eBay. But comes with same parts that BROTHERS sells. Don't know what to say or why so hard to find out how they installed and parts used for horn cam ring?!)

And lastly having difficulty getting the gear selector to work and be within the indicator range. BROTHERS did send me a brand new 47-87 UNIVERSAL AUTOMATIC SHIFT LINKAGE 7"-24" on Them. I'm hoping that adjustable length should help? TH400 Transmission was totally rebuilt so "shouldn't" have problem with that, but NOTHING has been as it should be so far. Guess that's why they call this work "Custom?" When done, it will be MY Resto-Rod, patina exterior paint n'all!

Anyway more pictures coming as I knock-out these problems, finish the wiring, and install rebuilt custom COMPLETE gauge cluster
Attached Images

DJ_Baar is offline   Reply With Quote