View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #21
hemi43

Re: Wheel Spacers - Good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by argonaut View Post
I must disagree wholeheartedly that "spacers" should not be used. So long as they are made from an appropriate material and are used with studs or bolts of the appropriate length to achieve the proper thread engagement then there is really no issue with a modest thickness spacer. The load path is still through the studs to the wheel, which sandwiches the spacer. So as long as toque and thread engagement are adequate, there should be no problems. Additionally for years different automotive companies have design cars that uses such "spacers" from the factory.

"Adapters" on the other hand can be even more dangerous, especially if not designed properly. In this design the load path is through the studs to the adapter, then through the adapter itself to the secondary studs, then to the wheel. So the critical failure point it the adapter itself. If I cracks or fails your wheel will decouple completely.

That said, I'm using 1.5" aluminum "adapters" (I still call these spacers, as they are spacing the wheels out, not adapting a different bolt pattern, but just semantics) on the rear of my blazer. I dont trust them completely but I inspect them regularly for cracks and fatigue. All-steel adapters would be a different story. You'll have to proceed at your own risk.

I certainly would not recommend that anyone use "spacers" without installing longer studs. In fact, even if you are using aluminum wheels you may need longer studs since the original studs are short, being designed for use with steel wheels.
I'n not sure what your background is, but I've been a Tool Maker for over 35 years and now have my own shop specializing in aftermarket race car components, so I do know what I'm talking about.
The problem with a spacer is that it puts too much load at the base of the stud, and that's where they fail. Using a longer stud will only increase the problem because the rim now has more leverage to snap the stud.
The face of the rim MUST be bolted to a non-movable surface like the axle flange or an adapter. I agree what you say about the load path of the stud, but what you fail to mention is that you have rotational forces acting on these studs and that where the problem lies.
Telling people to use a longer stud is not only bad advice, but dangerous advice !!

Last edited by hemi43; 09-30-2019 at 05:06 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote