View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
Jcfcamaro

Re: Outer rocker panel replacement issue

Yeah they fit like crap. I ordered a set and tried to make them fit and ordered from a different company for one side and it still sucked. Everything you've mention is what I fought. I'm no pro but pretty good with metal and a welder so this is what I did. I cut out the spot welds on both ends trying to get the face of the rocker to match the door assuming the door is aligned but the gage of the metal still wouldn't let me bend it out . So then I used a real thin cut off wheel made by norton and began to cut into the rocker at the first root bend just up from the door if its opened. Made 3in long cuts about 3in apart the whole length of the rocker until I could strong arm it to bend in or out til it would somewhat match the door with it closed. Welding it back is hard because your welding down in bend/root area and grinding the welds take some special tools also. Also bolt your fender on before welding it in because the end of the rocker should match the end of the door that way your gap is the same all the way down the door past the rocker. Both of my rockers needed shortened so yes I cut the whole end off and welded it back on. I highlighted your pictures to help understand where I'm talking about. Also where the rocker meets up to the door seal area I had weird gaps there so I cut some of the root areas and bent them over and welded back in so the door seal lip would mate up better and match up. Actually added metal to a couple of spots. Sounds like alot of work and it was but I'm picky.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote