Thread: 68 GMC Project
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
mikewoods

68 GMC Project

Hi guys, I've been a long time lurker and I just registered after I bought a 68 GMC for a song a few weeks ago.

The truck was an ebay listing that happened to be local and too good of a deal to pass up. I put in my bid and waited it out. Lo and behold, I won!

It was advertised as needing brakes but "running like a top". It has a solid lifter 327 and a 3 speed automatic. Upon start up I immediately noticed that the radiator was leaking from the fins and the power steering box didn't hold fluid at all. Checking in to the brakes, the master cylinder was full, but the truck had a VERY soft pedal. Crawling underneath i saw that the rubber rear brake line wasn't connected to the T block but crimped over (no rear brakes at all)... No leakage out of the front wheel cylinders, but I didn't get a chance to pull the drums off to look before I bought it. Brake parts are cheap, right?

So to recap; it has mismatched wheels, two different sizes of tires and is spray painted orange, doesn't hold coolant, doesn't hold power steering fluid, oh! and I forgot to mention, the front harness was completely hacked/ unplugged...

Here's the truck when I got it home.

Got it in the (ridiculously messy) garage,