View Single Post
Old 05-31-2019, 12:52 AM   #54
daveshilling

May 2019 Update

Well it seems like I have a 2 month cadence to updating the thread.

In the last couple months I've worked on shortening the motorhome column I picked up from the classified section. It was definitely an interesting process, and cutting/welding the inner tube was quite a challenge. We'll see if it breaks and kills me I guess!

Here is a pic before I adjusted the shaft and converted it to 3/4 DD instead of splined:

I tried to make a new mounting plate for the cab based on the factory mount. It began with good intentions but didn't end up working out. I've started a new one but haven't moved past the base plate portion. I need to figure out how to get the angle of the column right and supported correctly. I need to order a drop mount for the dash that lowers the column an inch first.

Most recently, I decided (with the overwhelming support from the forum) to shorten the bed instead of finding one. Either way, the longbed frame needed to be cut down. Using the awesome post on shortening a longbed TF from this forum, I jumped in and started cutting.

My frame was covered in dirt and surface rust so cutting it down also let me pull the back half out to be pressure washed and wire wheeled down to something manageable.

This little piece of angle iron was used as a guide for the plasma cutter and it definitely helps make a nice straight cut!

After adding the reinforcing plates and smoothing the welds out, I need to get the rear kit from Flatout to mount my c4 suspension, get a tank back there, move the rear crossmember, and cut the end of the frame back to fit a short bed.

I'll probably end up raising the Flatout kit as high as I can and adding a small notch to the frame, like another forum member did to get rid of the rake and tuck the suspension higher up.

Not bad for a couple months, but I do need to work faster. Once we're rolling then it's off to a shop to run the brake and fuel lines, get the LS going, get a driveshaft, sort out the exhaust, and probably some other miscellaneous.
daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote