Thread: Thumbs up
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 05:31 PM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW5413 View Post
I was a civilian and USAF back in the day...mid 70s...stationed in Tucson. Hope to slide out there later this fall. I doubt there will be much I will recognize. 1st time I ever saw colored rock, instead of grass, in front yards. LOL!
Yeah, the Old Pueblo is definately an Air Force town. I was in the Marine Air Wing, myself, but DMAFB was handy when I was on leave. I could raid their PX, buy issue boots and utility trousers, and even draw E1 pay [Though I was a CPL E4]. When my '68 C/10's transmission broke down in ABQ -- on the way to MCAS Cherry Point, NC -- a friendly DM Ops NCO got me scheduled on a C-118 MATS hop from Nellis AFB to Langley AFB. From Langley, I got a cab to NAS Norfolk, RON'ed at the Marine Barracks, and in the morning, caught a hop on a Navy C-9 to CPNC. Always got along with the USAF.
I got here in the Early '70s. When water was a lot cheaper, people had lawns, but with little or no snow in winter, the grass browned out. One local company would dye your dead lawn grass green again. ''Is your lawn a Beastly Beige?'' ...they would intone on local TV.
Since the Severe Drought has been upon us, these last 17 years, ''Xeriography'' [dry landscaping] has been in vogue. City Water ain't cheap anymore. Last year, a combination of a cracked fitting on my roof, feeding the swamp cooler, spraying out unnoticed, and a leaking toilet flap, totalled a $250 water bill.
Up in the Air, Junior Birdmen!

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote