View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #12
Stepside Jim

Re: 3500 stall or 2400

I am currently using a Gear Vendors unit in my '57 Chevy truck 396, th350.

I originally began with a 3000 stall converter. Driving around town, worked great. Going down the highway, worked great, til I went up hill, slowly I noticed the stall coming in. The stall was noticeable and slightly annoying.

I backed it down to a 2400 stall, I lost some low end stall but I had better highway manners.

Last year I went to a turbo 350c, I know, many will say what a piece of crap, I was willing to give it a try. I put all the good internals from the regular th350 into the th350c, then installed a transgo shift kit along with the 2.75 first gear ratio. I also have a manual switch to operate the lock up converter.

This combination gives me approx 4.10 first gear ratio, then a 2.91 ratio all from a 3.73 ring and pinion. What a full range.

I also went back to a 3000 stall lockup converter.

You want to know how much the converter slips at highway speeds? Get rolling along at 65 mph. engage the gear vendors, feel the rps drop, then lock up the converter, wow, what a drop in rpms.

I don't have a tach, but my ass meter tells me, a 3500 stall will really slip under load at highway speeds.