View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Anyone built the plastic model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winola73 View Post
I used to buy AMT 1/25th 3 in 1 kits for $1.49, glue was 10 cents. Yeah, I'm THAT old! I have one of those Revell kits packed away somewhere I never built. I'll have to dig it out and then see if anybody makes a resin small window cab and long fleetside bed so I can be lazy when I build a model of mine.
I’m in that age bracket too. Got really bummed when they stopped molding all the trophy series cars in black, forcing the purchase of spray paint, which in turn ruined more cars than got finished, requiring the purchase of yet more kits. In hind sight I suppose it was pretty smart marketing. I’ve seen current kits in retails stores for $26.00. Yikes! That’s certainly out of my price range.

I built my first replica 60 GMC several years before the AMT 60 Chevy kit came along. I used a Modelhaus resin replica of an original 1960 GMC promo model cab, grille and hood, along with the Revell stepside bed and part of the cab. At one time Modelhaus offered the complete resin long bed truck kit, but I don’t see it listed anymore in their catalog. For a small back window, I used the large back window glass that came in the kit mounted from the inside, and then cut a hole in it and mounted a 1950 Chevy pick up truck back window in the hole, from the outside, with the mounting flange painted to look like the cab. It makes a pretty realistic small back window cab.

For the long bed, I think ebay is the probably the best bet for finding an original long bed fleetside. NOS early truck kits can cost up to $250, but there are often poorly built or incomplete trucks listed that might provide a long fleetside bed for little money.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote