View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
bovey

Re: '71 GMC Track Day Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
What's getting replaced? The truck or the rear end setup? What's causing you to be heavily taxed. Sorry for the odd question. I'm an AutoX noob.
Replacing suspension parts, the truck is not going anywhere.

In my case, speed combined with the types of racing I'm doing is more than what my current suspension was ever designed to handle. Mix that with a race track that allows for a ton of speed and it can be dangerous.

A lot of the autocross you see at car shows are designed to keep the competition around 35 MPH - no helmet stuff. That is not the case with the groups I run with up here. 90% of my competition are Miatas, S2000s and Subarus and they are fast and nimble. To be able to compete with them I need to build a very specific chassis to be nimble and deal with all of my power, as I run a LS 427 making 600ish HP with a brick torque curve.

My design criteria for the next version of my truck must be:

1) Nimble to deal with tight autocross designs. i.e. front IFS with excellent caster/camber adjustment

2) Stable for high speed track use. Not to mention the idea of doing Cannonball Run style road rallies... but that is off in the future.

Who doesn't love the Big Red Camaro? Inspiring car.
bovey is offline   Reply With Quote