View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 02:43 AM   #278
COS399

Re: 89 GMC Cummins conversion

Here is some information on the wiring to wire in a relay to the VP44 pump to make it start up and run. On the rear of the engine, up near the valve cover, are two quick connect plugs. One has 11 wires and the other has 14 wires. These two plugs are the main wires that I used for my build. I did have to tap into the Injection Pump harness for a Throttle Position signal for my PCS transmission controller.

Purchase a 12 volt relay and the wiring pigtail that fits it.

Connect a fused (5amp) and switched 12V power source to the #1 pin (Green with black tracer) on the 11 pin connector. This is Ignition switch signal.

Connect a constant 12V supply to the #3 pin (Red with white tracer) on the 11 pin connector.

Connect the 87 terminal on the relay to the #7 pin (Red with Light Green) on the 11 pin connector.

Connect the 86 terminal on the relay to the #8 pin (Brown and white) on the 11 pin connector.

Connect the 85 terminal on the relay to negative/ground

Connect the 30 terminal on the relay to positive/12volt

After that, if you have the fuel hooked up and the starter hooked up you can just turn on your VP44 switch and then the jump the starter solenoid to fire it up. Turning off the VP44 switch (pin 1) will shut it off.

I tried to attach some PDF files that show all this but they were too large. PM me your e-mail address and I can try and send them to you direct. Hope this helps you and anyone else that has a 24 valve VP44 project.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote