View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 06:38 AM   #51
special-K
Special Order

Re: Rather unique build Longhorn

This is the third GM truck with a tag axle upfit I have seen. I love it. I have no issue with what anyone did to get their truck doing what they needed better back in the day. This is great ingenuity. I have bought trucks that were set up special by the original owner. My K2500 was set up for 5th wheel towing. Has a hoist in the one rear corner for lifting the platter into place. Extra big trans cooler, trans temp gauge in extra dash hole, and a vacuum tuning gauge mounted on the dash in plain view so you can drive by it. It had rear HD air shocks and an front sway bar added. Looking at the truck it was all stock. These were changes made to the truck so it could better serve, not cosmetics.

The other two with tag axle were lengthened. One was a very nicely done square body with pickup bed stretched to 12'. The wheel wells were done nicely, it was painted with nice chrome wheels (singles). I have no idea what purpose that truck was built for. It looked so good I'm not sure it wasn't just a custom thing the guy wanted. The other was done by a friend who is the "industrial engineer" for another friend's recycled lumber business. He took a cab & chassis DRW and stretched it for a 16' flatbed. He fitted a single wheel rear tag axle under it

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote