Thread: 350 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #23
garyd1961

Re: 350 Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikwho View Post
There's nothing wrong with an old gen one SBC. And your son wants a 383. No reason to talk him out of that! With the availability of sub $1,000 balanced rotating assemblies (Eagle and Scat), I don't think that I will ever assemble another SBC with a stock stroke. Sounds like he had the right book. Find the machine shop that he will use, develop a plan with the machi7nist. Then, your son can disassemble the entire deal and take the block in to the machine shop. Have them inspect the block to see what over bore you require. Once you know the bore that you need to be at, you can purchase the rotating assembly. Clearance for rods, and its very easy to assemble. I've assembled 8 so far. The only failures that I've had were from engines that I didn't assemble, including two crate engines.

So, I would absolutely support your son in this venture! Don't let anyone talk him out of it! This is how hot rodders are made and how this knowledge is passed on to younger generations. Any snags that you guys hit can easily be addressed here, or with your machinist. Tell the machine shop that you plan to do the assembly. If your son is into this stuff, every tool that you'll need, he will likely use again!
Never said there was anything wrong with a 383 been there and done that myself. I'm saying a 350 with a good set of heads is better than a 383 with 882s or even camel humps. If you got the money for the machine work and good aluminum heads go for the 383 by all means. Just don't forget we are talking about a kid and his first motor build though.
I still would start with a roller block. Why put all the money and effort into a motor with a flat tappet cam when you can have a hydraulic roller for another hundred bucks.

Last edited by garyd1961; 01-22-2021 at 08:32 PM.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote