View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 12:11 AM   #35
shortboxin

Re: 5.3 C10 Swap Idle Issue

Sprayed brake cleaner all over the throttle body, no change in idle at all. Sent a message to a tuner via ebay the other day. He asked also about the cam and told me to plug in a good scanner to verify if the IAC counts were between 50-70. If they were out, adjust the idle screw to dial it in (didn't know there was an idle adjustment).

Neither of my scanners check counts, so I looked into a scanner software package for my bluetooth OBD scanner that would read them and decided money might be better spent on another PCM with the idle bumped up.

In the meantime, I decided to just rotate the idle screw 1/2 turn. Started engine, still almost died and then improved significantly after 15-20 seconds. Put in gear and it still was iffy. Turned screw another 1/2 turn (1 turn total). Started up and it seemed pretty good, but idle was still fairly low and unstable.

Turned screw another full turn (2 turns total). Idle sounded great. Took the truck for a drive on surface streets, on freeway, and back to surface streets. That was when I found out I'd gone too far. Idle took a little too long to drop back down and was around 725RPM in park/neutral. Also found that I now had a P0507 code, IAC count high.

Backed out 1/2 turn (1 1/2 turns total). This brought the idle down to 650RPM. Took the truck for two drives, one yesterday and one today. Starts great, idles great, drives great and idle isn't too high even when warm. Just checked codes and nothing. I'd say for now, I'm good.
shortboxin is offline   Reply With Quote