View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM   #36
Nobondo

Re: NEW BUILD - 66 GMC on Roadmaster / Caprice 9C1 Chassis

I've got the cab sitting level on the chassis and used an old frame schematic along with the cab mount holes to locate it properly in relation to the centre line of the front wheels.

It is sitting a little higher than I'd like, so the next step will be to channel the front cab supports to the max. It's all new metal up front, so that will be relatively easy to do and I will add some additional structure when I box it in.

I will use the finished dimension of that channel in order to calculate the channeling the rear of the cab and support. It will be hidden by the box sides anyways. It will be a bit of a shame to cut into the cab corners, but the alternative is spending a pile of time and money on suspension components. I have the time and would prefer to spend the money on something else. At the end of the day as per my previous post, this was not a pretty cab to start with and we're building a ratty faux-pina unicorn of a truck.

Putting a little more effort into dropping the cab as low as possible allows me to keep the stock spindles, coils, shocks, suspension geometry, etc. How many times do you read about people who spend over $1000 lowering their car only to comment on poor ride quality, etc, etc, etc. So, a bit more metal work, but zero concerns about ride quality moving forward. That trade works just fine for me!
Attached Images

Nobondo is offline   Reply With Quote