View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 08:54 PM   #14
Accelo

Re: Lowered truck requires extra power when turning hard over.

geezer#99 quoted "Could be you got your Ackerman goofed up!"

Thinking to my self, that makes sense. How can my Acherman get messed up. I thought of the board members, I had read about, that have gone before me and installed the center link backwards. I checked it out when I built my truck wanted it right. The first install I read the posts and didn't find a good explanation of what backwards looked like. So I installed it convinced it was correct. So today I did a little more research and found out how to tell. My is backwards! It installs "nuts forward". How hard can that be to remember? It has been aligned twice and they missed it both times. The other clue was an extended turning radius and a soft stop an the ends of steering travel.

And from KQQL IT ["I]Sounds like the center link is backwards"[/I].

From the archives.
lil hoodlum
It is very easy to install the center link backwards and the symptoms are the steering is very darty, or seems very easy to over-correct. Make sure the inner tie rod is installed through the back side of the center link, castle nut is facing forward and grease fitting is on the back side of the center link on the cross-member side.

Eating crow tonight, I like it well done and I have a specific bird in mind. Been dive bombing me all spring.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and pointing me in the right direction. Now I'm out to the shop to see if I can get the joints apart without messing up the rubber cups and to catch a crow.
Cheers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 07-18-2022 at 09:19 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote