View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #97
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

I was gone most of the week so didn't get progress until today after I got my paperwork done. Parts were delivered while I was gone. The only problem was the tie rod ends which I ordered for a 98 mustang, the donor, but didn't fit the threads on the mustang 2 rack. Metric vs standard I guess.

The steering shaft to rack adapter that came with the kit is for power steering. The instructions say the other styles of adapter are available from FFR, but the one I need isn't. Probably back ordered. The other one was priced at $85 though and I wouldn't pay that anyway. Turns out nobody else makes the correct adapter, 9/16 26 spline to 3/4" DD. The only option is one for 3/4" round, so I got one off eBay for $18. I drilled a hole through it to match the inset hole on the steering shaft knuckle. Then I drilled through that also and used one of the extra 1/4" bolts to lock it all together. Turned out great!

Next was installing the rack. The offset bushings came and that should have been enough to get the rack in, but nothing seems to go as it should. The driver side bracket was misaligned. I had to grind out the hole about 1/4" so the bolt would go in through the bushing. Everything is working well. Four turns lock to lock and smooth. Can't wait for the correct tie rod ends so I can see how it feels.

The correct master cylinder came along with the new brake hoses. Not sure what all I'm still going to need to build the rest of the brake system. But I'm sure rockauto and others will help me along.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote